Templates and Technical Materials Supporting COVID-19 Reporting and FAQs For Hospitals, Hospital Laboratory, and Acute Care Facilities
Updated January 12, 2021
On March 29, 2020, Vice President Pence sent a letter to hospital administrators across the country requesting daily data reports on testing, capacity and utilization, and patient flows to facilitate the public health response to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), and Secretary Alex Azar published the Guidance for Hospital Reporting and FAQs that details what must be reported.
The updated Federal Guidance for facilities describing reporting responsibilities, procedures, and requirements is contained in the following FAQ titled: “COVID-19 Guidance for Hospital Reporting and FAQs For Hospitals, Hospital Laboratory, and Acute Care Facility Data Reporting”
Based on the January 12, 2021 update, the following changes are needed in reporting:
The addition of fields to capture healthcare personnel and patient vaccination details to be reported weekly on Wednesday as optional fields. For the first time reporting, please include values for all previous weeks when vaccines were provided.
- Previous Week’s COVID-19 vaccination doses administered to hospital personnel (Regardless of Series)
- Current hospital personnel who have not yet received any COVID-19 vaccination doses
- Current hospital personnel who have received one in a series of COVID-19 vaccination doses
- Current hospital personnel who have received a completed series of COVID-19 vaccination doses
- Total number of current hospital personnel
- Previous week’s number of patients administered the 1st dose in a COVID-19 vaccination series
- Previous week’s number of patients administered the dose that completes the series of a COVID-19 vaccination
The goal is to allow facilities, states, and IT vendors the ability to use existing templates until they are able to modify to the new format. As fields become mandatory, the prior templates that do not include those fields will be retired.
The HHS Unified Template is encouraged when possible as we would like to eventually get everyone using this common template that can be used to report to any application. Any new certifications by states or health IT vendors or third-parties who are not currently certified should use the new HHS Unified Template. However, we are continuing to support legacy templates to ensure we provide enough time for migration.
The new and prior templates are found below.
Preferred HHS Unified Template – HHS Protect and TeleTracking Users (Available January 12, 2021)
- COVID_20210112_FAQ_template_yyyymmdd_v9_with_FAQ_mapping – This file has explanatory information for the template, including field numberings to match the FAQ.
Prior Unified Template for Data Uploads
- COVID_20201006_FAQ_template_v5_yyyymmdd_for_submission (Retired January 8, 2021)
- COVID_0729_FAQ_template_v3_yyyymmdd.csv (Retired December 18th, 2020)